Monday, February 2, 2009

Reaction: Announcing the Reporter Channel

Article: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGkstFwJKa8

It is a victory for Freedom of the press. YouTube has announced the Reporter label and now people that do the smallest of local news can make it easier to distribute their news to their public. Without having to pay the fee if they wanted to post something on TV to reach people. This movement of news being broadcasted by anyone is so insuring it makes me prouder to say that I live in the united states where basic right are still allowed. What I mean by that is that we are free here to broadcast print and say what we want and let other people see and listen to what we have to say. And let them, say back what they think about us. Before I saw this I was starting to wonder how we as people are going to fight back the media monster censorship[not saying that all censorship is bad please do not take that out of content]? And the answer youtube movement. Although the counter point can be that youtube can delete your video if it is to offensive. Such as the story of a channel on youtube called “mrblacksmoviereviews” I subscribed to him when he started as a movie reviewer then his tone changed with the rise of the Viacom suet on youtube . video called “END OF INDEPENDENT MOVIE & GAME REVIEWS ON YOUTUBE” [1] the next was a video about the orphan works act. The next thing you know some of his videos that sheds light on subjects that the main stream media is not telling us get brought down, due to copyright infringement accusations. But it was too late to stop him in a few days he allowed his videos to be downloaded and hundreds of people started posting his videos. After this I felt like we as people can win against the media monster censorship. After this happened a few years ago it is encouraging to see that youtube is now playing nice and putting all the reporters in one spot to keep them under one category. Now that I think about it; it was because of “mrblacksmoviereviews” video I started researching about news that was not main stream. I found out about cancer curing tomatoes, rumored television shows such as the terminator live action series and the upcoming star wars live action series; and things about upcoming technologies and more about the war in Afghanistan that I needed to know. And I am still doing that to this day. Sometimes wondering off to Area 51 and illuminati research. On second thought now I am suspicious as to why youtube didn’t have this category before. Well I have no real answer for that other then saying even if a video gets taken down there are enough internet users out there to keep anything alive because no matter how hard the media monster censorship may try to keep the truth from the public they can’t silence all of us. So in the end I leave with this quote:

"This is our world now. The world of the electron and the switch; the beauty of the baud. We exist without nationality, skin color, or religious bias. You wage wars, murder, cheat, lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the criminals. Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. I am a hacker, and this is my manifesto." "You may stop me, but you can't stop us all."
~The Mentor 1986




[1]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMjHKTtP72s

No comments:

Post a Comment